Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Service of summonses and orders

Serving an order or summons lets the respondent know about the order or summons that has been issued against them. This is generally done by the police handing a copy of the order to the respondent.

In the case of telephone orders, the police will also arrange serving the order or summons. This is generally done by the police station nearest to where the respondent lives. It is important that you provide to the police as much detail as you can to help with the service of the documents and tell them immediately of any change of address.

Regular contact should be maintained with the police station nearest to the respondent to ensure service occurs. If the summons has not been served by the week before the restraining order hearing date, you can ring the Police District Superintendent to register your complaint. The Family Violence Service can also advocate with police on your behalf

Last updated: 12-Apr-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.