Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Restraining orders

A restraining order is designed to prevent acts of family or personal violence. It is an order of the court which prohibits the person who is bound by the order from doing certain things eg coming within a certain distance of or attempting to contact the protected person (either in person, through another person, or by SMS, email or social media).

Having a restraining order allows the police to intervene on behalf of the protected person if the conditions are breached. A person who breaches an order can be charged by the police with a criminal offence. If this happens, the court will deal with the person.

There are three types of court imposed restraining orders:

When responding to a request for assistance involving a family violence related incident, police officers have the ability to issue a police order for up to 72 hours in certain circumstances. This order is a temporary restraining order that allows the protected person the ability to make an application to a court during normal business hours. Please contact the Western Australia Police Force on 131 444 if you require police assistance or 000 in an emergency.

An application for restraining orders can be made by:

  • A person seeking protection
  • a parent or guardian of a child/person
  • a police officer on behalf of a person or a group or
  • an authorised support service provider assisting a person to make an order online.

Applications in person

Applications for restraining orders can be made at any Magistrates Court.

If the respondent is a juvenile, an application for a restraining order can be made at the Children's Court.

If a person seeking to be protected is a child and the respondent is not a child, the application can be made at either the Magistrates Court or the Children's Court.

Applications online

The online restraining order application service has been introduced to make it possible for people seeking the protection of a restraining order to lodge their application without having to attend a court registry. Organisations which are approved to assist in lodging restraining order applications online are listed below. You can visit or phone one of these organisations and they will be able to help you lodge the application.

If you are a private legal practitioner or a law firm and would like to be registered to lodge restraining orders online on behalf of your clients, please complete the Request for Approval and Registration - Online Restraining Order Application form and return it to cvoc@justice.wa.gov.au.

For more information please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions or call the Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime on 9425 2973

Perth Metro

Legal Aid WA
32 St Georges Terrace
Perth WA 6000
1300 650 579

Aboriginal Family Law Services
890 Albany Highway
East Victoria Park WA 6101
(08) 9355 1502

Fremantle Community Legal Centre
Level 1 Suite 31 Fremantle Malls
35 William Street
Fremantle WA 6160
(08) 9432 9790

Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre
Building 1 Edith Cowan University 270 Joondalup Drive
Joondalup WA 6027
(08) 9301 4413

Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre
10 Cobbler Place
Mirrabooka WA 6061
(08) 9440 1663

SCALES Community Legal Centre
Suite 3 St Nicholas Community Centre
14 Council Ave
Rockingham WA 6168
(08) 9550 0400

Sussex Street Community Legal Service
29 Sussex Street
East Victoria Park WA 6981
(08) 6253 9500

The Humanitarian Group
Ground Floor
445 Hay Street
Perth WA 6000
(08) 6148 3600

Women’s Legal Service WA
Level 1 CSA building
445 Hay Street
Perth WA 6000
(08) 9272 8800

Youth Legal Service
Suite 3
12 St George's Terrace
Perth WA 6000
(08) 9202 1688

Great Southern

Legal Aid WA
Suite 3 43-47 Duke St
Albany WA 6330
1800 813 874

Albany Community Legal Centre
125 Grey Street
Albany WA 6330
(08) 9842 8566

Southern Aboriginal Corporation
45-47 Serpentine Road
Albany WA 6330
(08) 9842 7751

West Kimberley

Legal Aid WA
Upper Level Woody's Arcade
15-17 Dampier Tce
Broome WA 6725
1800 813 796

Aboriginal Family Law Services
Unit 1/46 Dampier Terrace,
Broome WA 6725
(08) 9193 5455

East Kimberly

Legal Aid WA
98 Konkerberry Drive
Kununurra WA 6743
1800 991 347

Aboriginal Family Law Services
Suite 1/10 Banksia Street
Kununurra WA 6743
(08) 9168 2001

Kimberley Community Legal Centre
4 Papuana Street
Kununurra WA 6743
(08) 9169 3100

Marninwarntikura Women's Resource Centre
Lot 284 Balanijangarri Road
Fitzroy Crossing WA 6765
(08) 9191 5284

South West

Legal Aid WA
7th Floor Bunbury Tower
61 Victoria St
Bunbury WA 6230
1800 813 732

South West Community Legal Centre
14 Plaza Street
Bunbury WA 6230
(08) 9791 3532


Legal Aid WA
Suite 3
120 Egan Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
(08) 9025 1300

Aboriginal Family Law Services
2/45 Brookman Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
(08) 9021 0244

Goldfields Community Legal Centre
23 Maritana Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
1300 139 188


Legal Aid WA
28-32 Throssell Rd
South Hedland WA 6722
1800 421 129

Aboriginal Family Law Services
2/3 Hunt Street
South Hedland WA 6722
(08) 9172 5024

Pilbara Community Legal Services
Lotteries House Units 1, 2 and 3
7 Morse Court
Karratha WA 6714
(08) 9185 5899

Pilbara Community Legal Services
Units 7 and 9
2 Leake Street
South Hedland WA 6722
(08) 9140 1613

Gascoyne & Mid-West

Legal Aid WA
Unit 8 273 Foreshore Drive
Geraldton WA 6530
1800 813 492

Aboriginal Family Law Services
66 Fitzgerald Street
Geraldton WA 6530
(08) 9965 4654


Citizens Advice Bureau
Mewburn Centre
Sholl Street
Mandurah WA 6171
(08) 9535 3101

Peel Community Legal Services
Suite 6 Charlotte Lodge
2 Sutton Street
Mandurah WA 6171
(08) 9581 4511


Wheatbelt Community Legal Centre
327 Fitzgerald Street
Northam WA 6401
(08) 9622 5200

Last updated: 29-Apr-2021

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.